Thursday, October 14, 2010

Transcription Blues

Hour 12 now on transcribing my focus group interview--and I'm a fast typist!!  My son says, "You're STILL working on that??"  Another revelation is how people talk. . . sentences that run on forever and lots of fillers.  It looks so funny when you actually transcribe it verbatim.    I do agree with Dr. Howard that the process leads to a VERY thorough recollection of everything that was discussed.  I think I almost have it memorized!!

I've got my first individual interview today, after she had to cancel last week.  I have a new respect for researchers! Just setting up the interviews and focus groups is extremely difficult!  Don't these people realize how important it is to ME??  ha ha

Also finishing up my mash-up.  So much to do with my other two classes and work and family.  Wondering whether embarking on this program was a mistake??

2 comments:

  1. Maybe this semester is a sort of trial by fire! I'm impressed that you're taking all three classes...AND you have a family...AND you have a job!

    I haven't yet transcribed the interviews or focus group- let us know on Saturday if you think of any advice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are questioning your decision too (misery loves company). I am questioning it as well. I worked full time when I got my bachelor's and I never experienced this much stress before. I've even taken other graduate classes and didn't experience this.

    I am scared of the typing part. I type freakishly fast but the focus group ended up going an hour and 20 minutes so, yeah... dreading it.

    ReplyDelete