Monday, September 13, 2010

Enlightening Observation

Last week, I was able to actually observe, and found it really enlightening!  My biggest challenge is I'm choosing to not take notes during the actual process, (due to my perception that it will possibly change the dynamic of such a personal communication context).  Thus, I'm having to race back to my office and take notes on everything I've observed and heard.  I'm writing so fast and furiously that I've again developed a pad on my middle finger.  With use of keboards, I thought this baby was gone for good!  I may decide to change this tactic, depnding on how it's going. 

I appreciate the comments from my classmates. Amy, I regret that I'll not be able to attend the presentation on Oct. 5--I have class that night, sadly.  I do intend to get the audio book, though.  Great suggestion!

I've also made progress on several other fronts.  I found a great scholarly article to review and attended a scholarly lecture that I LOVED!  (Sally Roth out at New Harmony.)  I was excited that Jenny had also chosen this presentation.  Apparently, we're kindred naturalist spirits  I'm excited about everything seeming to come together and am cautiously optimistic about my progress.  I'm learning so much, but admit that the time since my undergraduate studies is becoming apparent in so many ways!  Not only have I forgotten so much, but the majority of the communication theories we're reading about weren't even presented when I was an undergrad!  I guess that shows how much this field has grown and developed in such a (relatively speaking) short amount of time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment